Friday 15 July 2011

Capture the moment.. but don't lose it, please

Being new to the world of blogging, there is nothing better than spending twenty minutes (when Lily closes her eyes!) every day reading some of your amazing posts and looking at your fantastic photos.

I love taking photos, I still do, but unfortunately a simple stupid error means I have lost five years of my babies lives and there is nothing I can do about it.

In April, my husband surprised me by taking us all away to Cyprus. I was thrilled, we hadn't been on a proper family holiday somewhere new, ever! We packed light and just before putting my camera & video camera in my bag, I put all the data on my laptop.

I'd been sorting all the photos on my machine for months. Making sure they were all in folders and the folders were alphabetised and in date order, you know what its like, I'm a sucker for lists and order! The only thing I kept saying to myself over and over again was 'buy a hard drive, just in case' but it was one of those things I was going to get round to.

It turns out, the first day of that holiday was the day I should have got round to it.

With two cars on the drive and in broad daylight, two 'people' (I use that term very loosely) smashed their way in to our house and emptied every single drawer in search of the keys. Unable to find them, they took what they could grab, iPods, camera's, every single piece of jewellery I had and my laptop. My shabby, half broken, red wine stained laptop, with every photo I have taken of my children on it.

And with that, they were gone. No back-up, no hard drive, and no chance of ever seeing them again.

Rest assured, I have learnt my lesson.

Please don't make the same mistake I did, if you take it, save it and keep it in a place far away from your machine.

Me :)

1 comment: